[Samba] Turning one DC down for a day

Andrew Walker walker.aj325 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 18:42:43 UTC 2020

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 10:52 AM Luke Barone via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> It'll be fine
>
> On Mon., Nov. 16, 2020, 1:32 a.m. Stefan G. Weichinger via samba, <
> samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> > I have an FAQ, I assume I know the answer but want to be sure before I
> > run into issues:
> >
> > At one customer they get new network cabling and switching this week.
> >
> > This means that the connection between the 2 floors will have to be
> > offline as well for some time, while the upper floor should stay active.
> >
> > I have 2 samba DCs there and plan to move one of them to the upper floor
> > for that time ... and the other DC in the ground floor will be turned
> > off while work is done.
> >
> > My question: is there any problem in taking one DC off for a day and
> > then reconnect (= turn it on again) it to the domain?
> >
> > I don't talk of joining, simply turning off and on with some hours of
> > downtime.
> >
> > There won't be any AD-changes from my side, no new users or so, just
> > some PCs authenticating.
> >
> > I assume that this won't do any harm to my AD ;-) ... but I prefer to
> > ask in advance.
> >
> > Thanks for any feedback here.
> >
> > btw: samba-4.12.10-Debian on the DCs there
> >
> > --

Depending on how many clients there are in the environment, you may wish to
double-check that the server you're taking down isn't the only configured
nameserver for them. These sorts of exercises are the times when you
realize that the server you're taking down has some software on it that's
absolutely critical to the environment :))

If you have time to test beforehand, do so during something like a
maintenance window (i.e. after people leave work) to make sure that nothing
critical goes down. Maybe also check for Samba shares, NFS exports, or
other things that are being hosted on the DC in question. I know it's not a
great idea to do this, but sometimes things happen if there's more than one
cook in the kitchen. :))