[Samba] Moving from a PDC to an DA

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Nov 15 09:38:12 UTC 2020

On 15/11/2020 03:38, Robert Moskowitz via samba wrote:
> This is not an upgrade in place and I am not finding any good
> guidance, so here I am asking on the list...
>
> I have an old PDC that has been running since '12.  The domain is
> called Homebase, and the server is called Homebase.  The Samba
> software I am using is the ClearOS5 distro.
>
> Now I have purchased a QNAP server and going to an AD.  I would LIKE
> to use the same server and domain name and a local FQDN of
> homebase.home.htt  (I have an internal view on my BIND DNS server, so
> setting up my own TLD is easy).
I would go with something like 'ad.home.htt' instead, you cannot use the
same name for a DC as the workgroup (aka netbios domain name). Your
mention of views is interesting, as it sounds like you want to use an
external Bind9 server for the AD domain, sorry but this is not a good
idea. Every AD DC running a dns server (every Samba runs a dns server)
is authoritative for the AD dns domain, so it must be the domain members
first port of call.

> Moving the data will be easy, as it is backed up on a USB external
> drive, but I would like to migrate as much of the roaming profiles as
> I can.  Is it possible/reasonable?
The problem with roaming profiles is that they are littered with SID's,
so you need to change these and Samba does not have any tools to do
this, though I believe there are tools available to do this.
> Or should I just go with a clean startup?
I personally would just start with a new domain, this way you do not use
some of the errors from the past e.g. using the RID for the Unix ID,
ID's starting at 1000 are, in my opinion, are not a good idea

> Pointers to specific wikis and such are welcomed.

I can only recommend reading the Samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Rowland