[Samba] samba-tool domain backup online fails with uncaught exception - list index out of range

Stacey Richards stacey at synapp.nz
Thu Nov 12 09:55:22 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have joined a Samba DC (dc2.corp.domain.com) to an existing Samba domain
with a single DC (dc1.corp.domain.com).

Once joined, I wanted to test an online backup so ran:

root at dc2:~# samba-tool domain backup online --targetdir=backupdir --server=
dc2.corp.domain.com -Uadministrator

which displays many messages but results in the following error without a
completed backup:

ERROR(<class 'IndexError'>): uncaught exception - list index out of range
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 186,
in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain_backup.py", line
258, in run
    new_sid = get_sid_for_restore(remote_sam)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain_backup.py", line
81, in get_sid_for_restore
    rid = int(res[0].get('rIDNextRID')[0])

If I run the same command on the same server but specify --server=
dc1.corp.domain.com, the backup runs without error:

root at dc2:~# samba-tool domain backup online --targetdir=backupdir --server=
dc1.corp.domain.com -Uadministrator

Can any one tell me what might be causing this and how it can be fixed?

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Stacey Richards

Synapp NZ Limited