[Samba] About Samba 4.13.2 and Windows

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 10 21:30:29 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-11-10 at 22:18 +0100, Oliver Rath via samba wrote:
> Hi Leo!
>
> On 10.11.20 16:58, Leo C via samba wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to join windows xp to Samba 4.13.2 but i can't,
> > however  trying
> > to join windows 7 and it works fine.
> >
> > Why i can't to join windows xp???
>
> Samba-4.13 doesnt support SMBv1-protocol anymore for security
> reasons,
> which is needed for XP. Use Samba-4.12 for this.

Samba 4.13 has not removed SMBv1.  We still plan to remove the code
'eventually' but nobody has made a concrete plan for that, so these are
just warnings at this point.

Those warnings are however serious, when it happens we won't be
deciding then waiting a year (but will probably do it at the start of a
dev cycle), as we have given all the notice we promise to.

Currently what we have done is to deprecate smb.conf options and change
defaults.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/