[Samba] Question about samba_dnsupdate

Edson Tadeu Almeida da Silveira edson.tadeu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 17:40:57 UTC 2020

Hi all!

I am experiencing a somewhat strange situation here in my environment.

I am using samba 4.4.16 with internal DNS.
In smb.conf I have the configuration:

allow dns updates = nonsecure

When I run the command:  samba_dnsupdate --verbose
I don't get any errors, the return is: "No DNS updates needed"

However, when I issue the command: samba_dnsupdate --verbose --all-names, I
get a message stating:
21 DNS updates and 0 DNS deletes needed

and at the end of the message there are several errors like:

; TSIG error with server: tsig verify failure
Failed nsupdate: 2
.
.
.
; TSIG error with server: tsig verify failure
Failed nsupdate: 2
Failed update of 21 entries

Moreover, I have noticed that my hosts' dns records have not been updated
with the new network addresses they receive from the DHCP server.

Could anyone help with that?