[Samba] nfs root kerberos

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Nov 10 13:44:36 UTC 2020

Well, my problem is i dont now how Centos/RH is handing this.

I just know that the basics are..

1) The server must have A and PTR record. (optional you can use CNAMEs as long A+PTR match).

2) you use nfs/$(hostname -f) and add this in the local keytab and in the computer object$
   net ads keytab add_update_ads nfs/$(hostname -f)

   ( you dont add the REALM here ) !

3) i know nfs tries mutiple spns, like : ( random order. )
	nfs/HOSTNAME$
	nfs/hostname.fqdn
	root/hostname.fqdn
On of these must exist in the local keytab file. ( in debian /etc/krb5.keytab )
klist -ke /etc/krb5.keytab
Should have at least one with nfs/$(hostname -f)@REALM

4) you must add this to smb.conf :
    # renew the kerberos ticket
    winbind refresh tickets = yes

Or the keytab will expire.

Now, i as said, i dont know Centos and MIT/Heimdall differences, that might be a point.
But how did you setup the exports, did you define the pseudo NFS4 root.
Examples here.
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/5/html/deployment_guide/s1-nfs-server-config-exports

This is how my export looks.
/exports         192.168.0.0/24(rw,sync,fsid=0,no_subtree_check,crossmnt,sec=sys:krb5:krb5i:krb5p)
/exports/users   192.168.0.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,sec=sys:krb5:krb5i:krb5p)

I hope this helps you out.

Greetz,

Louis