[Samba] Q: Samba 4.10 to 4.11

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Nov 4 21:27:39 UTC 2020

On 04/11/2020 21:05, Reindl Harald via samba wrote:

> Am 04.11.20 um 21:59 schrieb Marco Shmerykowsky via samba:
>> I was just looking at https://apt.van-belle.nl/ and
>> see that the packages for samba 4.11 and up only
>> appear to be available for Debian 10.
>>
>> Does that imply/state that Debian 10 is required for the
>> newer samba releases starting with 4.11?
>
> if you didnt't care for a year about the newest release of your
> distribution why do you care about a specific package?
>
> either you want LTS or you don't

That isn't what the OP asked, he asked if 4.11.x needs Debian 10 to run,
to which the answer is no and yes 😁

No: I have no doubt that you could probably build Samba on Debian 9, but
you would also need to install python >= 3.4

Yes: If he wants to use Louis's repo, he only builds Samba 4.11.x for
Debian 10

If he really wants a Samba supported version, I suggest he upgrades to
Debian 10

Rowland