[Samba] ID Mapping

O'Connor, Daniel darius at dons.net.au
Tue Nov 3 12:32:54 UTC 2020

> On 3 Nov 2020, at 22:42, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On 03/11/2020 12:05, O'Connor, Daniel via samba wrote:
>>
>>> On 3 Nov 2020, at 19:24, Stefan Kania via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>> Am 03.11.20 um 05:38 schrieb O'Connor, Daniel via samba:
>>>>
>>> On an DC the mapping starts allway with 3.000.000 you cant change it.
>>> That's the reason why you should not use a DC as fileserver
>> OK, it would be nice if that was documented.
>>
>> IMHO just saying "don't do it!" without providing the details of the downsides does make it difficult to make an informed decision about a deployment.
>>
> We do not say "don't do it", we just don't recommend doing it, for various reasons, some of which are listed here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Using_the_Domain_Controller_as_a_File_Server

None of those are concrete problems, just "it may cause problems" without listing the actual problems.

A short list of the big ones would be very helpful when deciding it's worth it - the listed alternative (run another instance in a VM) would have some very concrete downsides (mostly increased admin workload and potential confusion). Having something to weigh that against would make deciding a lot easier.

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."