[Samba] DNS /16 reverse zone issues with children and octets

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 12:05:58 UTC 2020

On 03/11/2020 11:49, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> That is strange, first thought is that it is possibly a Windows bug, if anything Windows should refuse to show any IPv4 address with more than 4 octets. Have you tried checking the records in AD with ldbsearch ?

I haven't tried that 'ldbsearch' yet - can you give me an example please?

Forward and reverse DNS lookups work...

$ host dc3
dc3.bigjigstoys.com has address 130.130.0.218

$ host 130.130.0.218
218.0.130.130.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer dc3.mydomain.com.

...errr, so not sure where the extra octet is appearing from in the Windows GUI!?

:)

Paully