[Samba] problems accessing samba shared printers from win32 clients

Piviul piviul at riminilug.it
Sun Nov 1 05:38:43 UTC 2020

Il 30/10/20 17:40, Marco Gaiarin via samba ha scritto:
> Mandi! Piviul via samba
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> If I double click on the shared printers from a 64bit client I get the
>> error: "A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from
>> connecting to this printer queue".
> You have to set a GPO, 'Restrizioni di selezione e stampa' in italian.
> 	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc753269(v=ws.11)
> 	https://support.microsoft.com/it-it/help/234270/how-to-use-group-policy-settings-to-control-printers-in-active-directo
ooops, you are right, I have forgot to add this new server to the list
of allowed point and print server. Any way even adding this policy
change only the error shown. Now the error is: "The printer driver is
not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
drive"...

Looking for a solution of this problem I found that removing
C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64 the printer is installed successfully!

I'm not sure but seems that troubles on win64 OS has been solved.

> [...]
> Could be a driver bugs. Try to:
>
> a) retry some time subsequently; some driver need that you try 2-5
>    times to load correctly the driver (but seems that samba load the
>    driver without error, indeed)
>
> b) change driver (also, driver revision could help)
>
> c) if the driver come with some CAB file, unpack it in source driver
>     folder before uploading; this is sometime needed for language
>     specific file (so, unpack italian only cab).
>
> d) last resort, but sometime works, load the driver/printer in a
>     windows machine, the 'copy' the driver via rpcclient:
> 	https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/old/Samba3-HOWTO/classicalprinting.html#inst-rpc
Now the drive on the samba server seems to be installed correctly. Win7
64bit (and I hope Win10 64bit too, I haven't try it yet) and Win7 32bit
clients can install the shared printer double clicking on it and all
seems to works flawlessy now. Remain a problem on WinXP 32bit clients:
if a WXP32 client double click on the shared printer all seems to works
and the printer is installed flawlessly but when I try to print
something to the printer I get an error and if I go to the properties of
the printer windows says that the driver is not installed. That's happen
only after upgrading the samba domain to AD. The driver is the same that
was working perfectly before the domain upgrading... why XP says that
the print driver is not installed?
There is another very strange behavior that I think it is be tied to. If
I go in winxp 32bit to the properties of the shared printer installed
and I say "no" when ask to install the driver and then in advanced tab I
select to install a new driver and I follow the procedure selecting the
same 32bit driver the dialog show a summary saying: "HP Universal
Printing PS, x64, Windows XP". But winxp is 32bit and I have select a
32bit driver: why says x64?!?

...I'm very confused :(

Piviul