[Samba] Samba 4.11.8 on FreeBSD-12.1

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri May 29 18:57:58 UTC 2020

I have abandoned trying to get an existing AD-DC on a FreeBSD host using UFS to
replicate successfully to a FreeBSD host on ZFS.  I am now in the process of
provisioning a new domain on the ZFS host.

The domain is created on a FreeBSD thick jail using IOcage as the jail manager;
probably should be called the warden but I digress.

I have successfully provisioned a new domain but I see an issue that I would
like to resolve before proceeding.  In smb4.conf I have these lines:

	bind interfaces only = No
	interfaces = lo eth0

When I run 'smbclient -L localhost -U%' then I see this:

WARNING: no network interfaces found

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	sysvol          Disk
	netlogon        Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.11.8)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

Before I proceed further I would like to know why are there no network
interfaces found?  Is there some other configuration that I need to do to have
samba find them?

ifconfig
em0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	options=81249b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,LRO,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWFILTER>
	ether 00:1c:c0:f2:1f:b8
	inet 192.168.216.166 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 192.168.216.166
	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
	status: active
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	options=680003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,LINKSTATE,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
	inet 127.0.166.1 netmask 0xffffffff
	groups: lo

Thanks,

The favour of a direct copy of any reply to the list would be appreciated.

Canada  L8E 3C3