[Samba] sysvolcheck and sysvolreset errors

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 26 15:15:58 UTC 2020

On 26/05/2020 15:43, Jonathan Hunter via samba wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've found sysvolcheck to be quite opaque and not
> always giving results that are understandable to me. Similarly to your
> experience, my setup is now working but sysvolcheck still complains..
> I'm at the point where I daren't run sysvolcheck for fear that it
> might change my GPO permissions *away* from the working values I
> currently have.
sysvolcheck will not change anything, but it will probably error out ;-)

> I did try and improve things a few years back, but found so many
> layers in the stack (just from memory - Python code, python libraries,
> C code, VFS code, and probably more) that enhancing the error
> reporting (for example to show *which file* an error related to) just
> required more tuits than I had available then. It's one of those
> "itch" things - I spent quite a few weeks on and off, trying to use
> this itch of mine to improve the error reporting, but ultimately gave
> up and I now avoid sysvolcheck.. sorry..

The problem starts from the moment you provision a Samba domain, Samba
appears to use different ACL's to the Windows ACL's and then
sysvolreset, again, uses different ACL's.

I also attempted to fix sysvolreset, but failed because the underlying C
code appeared to have problems, something I could not fix (I cannot write C)

Rowland