[Samba] Samba filesystem layout

Marco Coli marco.coli.gm at gmail.com
Tue May 26 14:12:38 UTC 2020

Hello, in the latest versions (I am not sure when) the layout of samba
files, related to dns, has changed.
Previously (using sernet rpms on RHEL/CentOS) there was
/var/lib/samba/private/dns, recently /var/lib/samba/bind-dns.

This change was helpful, because at every rpm update the permission of
"private" were restored to root:root 0700, preventing bind to enter
inside to reach dns info, and requiring a manual adjustment of permission.

For all new installation, the new layout is applied, but I have several
AD machines installed with 4.X old layout, upgraded in time to 4.12.x,
where dns stuff remained internal to private.

Which are the correct steps to migrate to new layout?

Thank you.