[Samba] LDAP authentication logging

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 26 13:50:56 UTC 2020

On 26/05/2020 14:17, Adam Weremczuk via samba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running old Sernet samba 4.0.9 on Debian and trying to set up LDAP
> authentication for
> https://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/3.0/admin/configuration/authentication-settings/
>
> To cut a long story short about half of users can log in and half not
> without any obvious reasons that ldapsearch comparisons would reveal.
>
> So I really want to see what the server is saying.
>
> I've set "log level = 5" in /etc/samba/smb.conf followed by
> "smbcontrol all reload-config"
>
> The only mention in smb.conf is:
>
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>
> I started spawning login attempts and hunting for entries in
> /var/log/samba/
>
> followed by:
>
> /var/log/syslog
> /var/log/auth
> /var/log/sssd/
>
> but couldn't find anything.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

For a start, you are running an version of Samba that is EOL, you should
upgrade.

You are also using sssd for authentication and asking here for help,
Samba does not produce sssd and as such, we know little about it, you
will get better help on the sssd-users mailing list, though I think they
will probably advise doing the same thing as I am advising about Samba,
upgrade.

There is a problem though, if you upgrade to a supported Samba version
and require shares, you cannot use sssd, you must use winbind.

Rowland