[Samba] Failed to commit objects: DOS code 0x000021bf attempting to add DC to Zentyal 3.2 domain (samba 4.1.7)

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 25 19:12:15 UTC 2020

On 25/05/2020 16:50, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 25/05/2020 16:14, Rich Webb via samba wrote:
>> So there is no migration path?  I really don't want to rebuild my
>> domain if I can help it.  I wouldn't mind so much having to recreate
>> users as much as having user's desktop profiles be orphaned.
>>
>> How would I tell if it was openldap vs pure samba ad-dc?
>>
> I do not use zentyal, so I am not sure about upgrading it. Zentyal
> isn't a Samba product, it is a Distro that uses Samba. I seem to
> remember that 3.2 used openldap as well as Samba, I am unsure just how
> Samba was used.
>
> What I am trying to point out is, you will probably get better help
> asking on the zentyal forum. If it can be confirmed that zentyal 3.2
> does use Samba as an AD DC (and not an NT4-style DC) then you might be
> able to join an earlier version of Samba to it and then go from there.
>
> As to finding out what ldap is being used for, you could try using
> ldapsearch to dump to a file and then examine this.
>
> Rowland

OK, first the good news, your zentyal is running Samba as an AD DC, now
for the bad news:

It is also running another kdc on port 8880 and slapd on port 390.

Now for the really bad news, it is also using the pre 2008 dns.

I think you will have to 'walk' your zentyal up the Samba versions until
you get the latest dns version, though I am not sure about this, never
had to do this.

It might just be easier to start again with a new domain.

Rowland