[Samba] DNS forwarders are not replicated

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat May 23 12:26:01 UTC 2020

On 23/05/2020 12:12, Daniel Betschart via samba wrote:
> After a Samba AD controller joins the Windows domain, the DNS
> forwarders are not replicated. Is that because the FSMO roles are still
> with the Windows server and does that change as soon as I transfer
> these roles to the Samba AD server? Or do I have to manually record the
> DNS redirects either way on the Samba AD server?

When you join a new DC to a domain (doesn't matter whether it is a Samba
or Windows AD domain), there isn't a forwarders line set in smb.conf,
you have to add it manually. You can do this two ways, either by editing
the smb.conf file created by the join, or by adding --option='dns
forwarder = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' to the join command. Transferring the FSMO
roles will have no effect on the smb.conf

Rowland