[Samba] DNS names for AD joined samba server

Orion Poplawski orion at nwra.com
Wed May 20 18:29:18 UTC 2020

I'm trying to figure out a puzzling thing that we are seeing with some
recently joined or re-joined samba servers.  Our linux servers are in a
different DNS domain than our AD machines (nwra.com or cora.nwra.com vs
ad.nwra.com for the AD machines).  Generally when we've joined a machine to AD
the DNS name recorded in AD is their regular linux FQDN.  But a couple
machines have ended up with the "ad.nwra.com" domain.

In some way this is preferred as it allow for easier lookup of the appropriate
SPNs.  But I have no idea what is controlling this.  Could it possibly be a
change between 4.9.1-10.el7_7 and 4.10.4-10.el7 (but not in 4.10.4-101.el8_1) ?

Thanks,
  Orion

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/