[Samba] Is there compression feature?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed May 20 17:09:37 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 12:27:17PM +0200, Aurélien Aptel via samba wrote:
> Jeygon Kim via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
> > I tried sending compression_capabilities in negotiate request packet but
> > there was no correspoding response.
> >
> > Isn't feature implemented yet? If not when are you planning to implement it?
>
> samba doesn't implement compression at the moment.
>
> I've been doing some research on and off on it... I have C code for
> decompression that I merged in Wireshark for LZ77, LZ77+huffman and LZW;
> for the compression side I have python code that needs to be translated
> to C to hopefully be integrated in the kernel client and samba.

As Aurélien said, it's not yet in the smbd server. We are
planning to implement it, although other bugs/features might
have greater priority. If it's important to you I'd suggest
assigning some engineers to work with us on it (happy to
point them at the right parts of the code) or hire a
Samba consulting company to implement for you.