[Samba] Samba DC and DNS best practices

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Wed May 20 06:09:30 UTC 2020

Hello Jonathan,
good questions, throwing in my cents..
"ideal .. configuration" - I guess it really depends on what you want to do
and scale of the network. Mine is small (roundabout two dozen machines),
nevertheless I am running two DCs for availability reasons. When I started
that journey, nobody on the list really recommended Samba´s internal backend
in a multi-DC, and for that reason I am using BIND9_DLZ. Initially I also
used bind to serve another local domain, but ultimately figured out it is
easier to maintain it in the directory as yet another DNS zone. Thus if
there were a clear statement from Samba team, that internal backend is fine
with multiple DCs, then I could get rid of bind. Ultimately the question is
what scenarios are subject to
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End#Introduction "that
the Samba internal DNS server does not support." - this statement is unclear
and thus bind9 is probably the goto solution.
Upstream I am running a pi-hole and then DNS-over-TLS to Cloudflare. Now as
pi-hole is based on dnsmasq I could also use that as the main entry point
for clients and just delegate local zones to Samba. But as windows clients
are supposed to update their (potentially dynamic) addresses I just don´t
know whether this I supposed to work. The error messages suggest they expect
the DNS servers to react to updates. If it were clear they talk to any of
the authoritative servers of the zone, then I´d feel much better with that
approach.
Best Regards, Joachim