[Samba] smbclient oddness

Grant Petersen grant.petersen at genericproducts.net
Wed May 20 00:00:36 UTC 2020

Hi all.

I have had this apparently inconsistent behavior in smbclinet
since, around 4.11.(6?). 4.11.0 seems fine.
I am on fedora 31 so I have just been keeping smbclient at 4.11.0 but
that is not an option in stock fedora 32 which I would like to use now.
My main problem with it is that it seems to be stopping automount
working on samba shares of Fed32 clients.

Any suggestions welcome...

This works:

[grant.petersen at orgonon ~]$ smbclient -L gnabregib  -U
Enter GENERICPRODUCTS\grant.petersen's password:

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        tmp             Disk      Temporary file space
        media           Disk      Media server file space
        apps            Disk
        backups         Disk
        www             Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Genericproducts samba
server)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

This should work exactly the same? The password prompt seems exactly
the same.

[grant.petersen at orgonon ~]$ smbclient -L gnabregib  -Ugrant.petersen
Enter GENERICPRODUCTS\grant.petersen's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED

but times out after about 1 minute to give the above error.

Confirming account name and version

[grant.petersen at orgonon ~]$ whoami
grant.petersen
[grant.petersen at orgonon ~]$ smbclient -V
Version 4.12.2

Interestingly using the ip address of the server instead of the host
name and providing the user name on the command line works.

grant.petersen at orgonon ~]$ smbclient -L 192.168.XXX.YYY  -
Ugrant.petersen
Enter GENERICPRODUCTS\grant.petersen's password:

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        tmp             Disk      Temporary file space
        media           Disk      Media server file space
        apps            Disk
        backups         Disk
        www             Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Genericproducts samba
server)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

Server :
[grant.petersen at gnabregib ~]$ smbd -V
Version 4.12.2
grant.petersen at gnabregib ~]$ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = genericproducts
        server string = Genericproducts samba server
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 2000
        log level = 1
        server role = standalone