[Samba] Intermittent permission denied when accessing share

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 18 21:16:02 UTC 2020

On 18/05/2020 22:06, Lorenzo Milesi via samba wrote:
>> I would expect to only see that on a machine with the MIT kdc installed,
>> try this
>>
>> apt-get -s remove krb5-kdc
>>
>> This will prove one way or other if it is installed and what it wants to
>> remove along with it, it will not remove anything.
> Apparently nothing requires it:
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
>    libverto-libevent1 libverto1
> Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    krb5-kdc
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 21 not upgraded.
> Remv krb5-kdc [1.16-2ubuntu0.1]

Please remove it, you do not need it.

Do you know that you can get ready built packages here:
http://apt.van-belle.nl/

> I checked in apt history log and the package was installed manually, it's in the "Verified package dependencies" script for Ubuntu 18.04 [1]
>

> [1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Package_Dependencies_Required_to_Build_Samba#Verified_Package_Dependencies

Yes, you are correct it is there.

Hi Andrew, why is this ? what with MIT being 'experimental'. I can
understand Samba testing requiring it, but we shouldn't be pointing our
users at something that contains things they definitely do not need.

Rowland