[Samba] Best practice multi-homed AD DC

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon May 18 09:45:39 UTC 2020

Why, because people configure these things wrong.

> What's the underlying issue in Samba that leads to these problems?
None im my optinion.

> Why can't Samba workaround the underlying issue to allow  multi-homed DCs to function correctly?
It can, if you configure your server correctly.
In the "old way" use iproute and routing tables.

In the new way use systemd-networking and setup per interface.
Per example what i add in a multihomed system

[Address]
Address=192.168.1.1/24

[Address]
Address=192.168.2.1/24

[Route]
Destination=192.168.1.0/24
Gateway=192.168.1.1

[Route]
Destination=192.168.2.0/24
Gateway=192.168.2.1

These above do the same as iproute, but more easy to setup, in my personal opinion.

> Is this a fundamental issue of the SMB protocol? Or an > implementation bug
> in other implementations of SMB that Samba can't provide a > workaround for?

People should only not forget to..
Setup A and PTR in all domain/reverse zones.

Greetz,

Louis