[Samba] Best practice multi-homed AD DC

Michael Jones samba at jonesmz.com
Mon May 18 09:34:29 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:44 AM Rowland penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 17/05/2020 23:10, Michael Jones wrote:
> > Why?
> Amongst others, you may get:
>
> Slow / Failed logins
> Replication issues
> Group policy access issues
> login script issues
>
> A multi-homed DC (for whatever reason) is a bad idea.
>
> Rowland

I appreciate the additional information here, but that doesn't really
answer my question, as short and unnuanced as it was.

Why does a multi-homed DC lead to those things as a matter of course?

What's the underlying issue in Samba that leads to these problems?

Why can't Samba workaround the underlying issue to allow multi-homed DCs to
function correctly?

Is this a fundamental issue of the SMB protocol? Or an implementation bug
in other implementations of SMB that Samba can't provide a workaround for?