[Samba] DNS problem ubuntu server 20.04

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon May 18 07:31:44 UTC 2020

> > I can make it also work like this.
> >
> > (127.0.0.53:53 sub => 127.0.0.1:53 bind9 caching) =>
> 192.168.0.1:53 samba AD-DC dns.
> >
> OK, I have been thinking about this (yes I know, thinking, possibly
> dangerous), And yes, you could do that on a DC, but why ?
More dangerous, well, yes, agree on that..

Why would people do that, well, in this in one case i have its to speeds up cli requests
and i've added dns blocking parts in the bind caching part.
Its not a regular setup in this case and normaly we dont do this..

> All your clients would use '192.168.0.1' for their nameserver and
> '127.0.0.53' and '127.0.0.1' would be ignored by the clients, or am I
> missing something.
>
> Also, lets not forget we are talking about a DC , so if you cannot
> remove systemd-resolve and manually create /etc/resolv.conf,
> you have no place in setting up a Samba AD DC.

Sure you can.  ;-)

And you dont need to "create" resolv.conf if you setup systemd-networkd.
You then only use these entries and your resolv.conf is setup correctly.

Above  results in .. Always correct resolve.conf
+ members always correct time without adding extra software like ntp/chrony
The AC-DC must have ntp, systemd will detect ntpd is installed and re-use some of the ntp.conf settings itself.

Read/execute this script.
https://github.com/thctlo/debian-scripts/blob/master/setup-systemd-networkd.sh
>From the script.
# This script create the needed systemd network files (ipv4 only for now),
# for an AD-DC of Domain Member setup.
# You need to review the file and execute the instructions after.
# The script itself does NOT change anything to a running server.

It shows most you want to know and howto setup.
I need to add IPv6 to that and the setup of NTP service/daemons for AD-DC.

But later on, so much work todo.. Aah..

Greetz,

Louis