[Samba] Upgrade from 4.11.6 to 4.12.2 created authentication issues

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat May 16 09:00:23 UTC 2020

On 15/05/2020 19:52, James Atwell via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
>         I upgraded two DC's to 4.12.2 from 4.11.6 before I noticed
> authentication issues with a couple Netgear ReadyNAS we have. For
> reference I have a total of 6 DC's with 4 running 4.11.6 and two now
> running 4.12.2.  I ran the usual ./configure,make,make install from
> tar without issues. However running samba-tool drs showrepl I noticed
> a couple errors.  Looking through the list I found someone else with
> the same initial problems.  See thread here
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2020-April/229230.html From this
> thread I did what was suggested by Alex and that resolved those
> initial errors.  This brings me back to the Netgear file servers. I am
> no longer able to authenticate the ReadyNAS with my domain.  I receive
> a join error within the Netgear dashboard with no additional info. No
> error code, nothing. I turned up the logging on the Samba server I
> pointed the ReadyNAS at and could see the log for the administrator
> user I'm using to try and join and authenticate. Samba shows a
> successful authentication but then it appears to end there.
> Additional details below about my setup.

You need to see the logs for the readynas to try and find out what is
going on.

This is what I would do:

Seize the FSMO roles to one of the 4.11.6 DC's

Demote the two 4.12.2 DC's

Remove everything in /usr/local/samba

Test if your readynas now connects to the domain again, try a re-join if not

If you have connection, then good, if not, you need to find out why not
and this will require seeing the readynas logs, you may have to ask
netgear about that.

Once you have connection from the readynas, run 'make install' again
(No, you shouldn't have to totally build Samba again)

Once Samba is installed again, try joining as a DC, hopefully it should
now work.

The only major change between 4.11.x and 4.12.x is that you now need
Python 3.5, perhaps you do not have this ?

Rowland