[Samba] DNS problem ubuntu server 20.04

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri May 15 13:55:43 UTC 2020

> That is possible on a Unix domain member, but, in my opinion,
> you would
> have to remove systemd-resolve on a DC
>
> Run <sudo netstat -plnt | grep '53'> on a newly installed
> Ubuntu 20.04
> and you get this:
>
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53 0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
> 451/systemd-resolve
>
> This would interfere with the AD dns server.

No, that a wrong understanding in my optinion.

Per example. The client requests.
Can be command like dig or hostname these query on the stub-resulver  127.0.0.53:53
So you must configure systemd networking + resolving if you use it.

but a client computer quering port 53 on the server its real ip, not on 127.0.0.53 and so does not use the stub-resolver.  Only the server itself throught client requests.

The stub-resolver  passed the request to the ip you configure on the interface the request is comming from/going to.

That how i configure it.
Now is that handy, thats an other question but i have a full running setup where AD-DC's and Members also use the Stub-resolvers without any problems.

Greetz,

Louis