[Samba] Problems with groups, minimum gidnumber?

Harald Hannelius harald+samba at arcada.fi
Fri May 15 12:11:05 UTC 2020

I have succesfully migrated our users (~3900) from our Samba 3 DC/OpenLDAP,
complete with passwords.

I have some 300 + groups that I'm trying to get migrated to our Samba 4 AD.

I can create the groups, but it looks from the domain-member's side that
groups don't work as I expect them to.

- Not all groups seems to be visible by using 'getent group'. It looks like
groups with a gidnumber below 1000 isn't visible. Where is this limit
configured?

- Am I supposed to be able to list group members by using 'getent group
groupname'? Now the groups that are visible don't have any members in them.

- I have two accounts, uid 510 and 527 respectively. 510 is a member of all
the groups like on the Samba DC, the other one isn't a member of any other
groups than users(100) and BUILTIN\users. How do I debug this? I suspect
that if a user is defined to be a member of a group with a gidnumber below a
certain limit, he or she isn't going to be a member of any extra groups, or
something in this order.

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020