[Samba] Multi-homed Samba 4 file server on Samba 4 AD domain - cross network authentication

David Lomax dave at davidlomax.co.uk
Thu May 14 17:58:21 UTC 2020

Hi Rowland,

Thank you very much, you were spot on.  I had changed the Windows 7 client to LM compatibility level, and now that I reverted it back to 5 (use NTLMv2) it works.  It was this registry key that made it start working:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000005

I was ignoring the old LM options and the "NTLMv1" in the logs, until you pointed it out, so thanks.

Your questions are good points, and I'll answer them for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread.

* There are two networks, and both the server and the client are connected to both of them.  To override the default 1G network, I map the network drive by IP address.
* Good point about the reverse lookup zone.  I forgot about that, I will create it.
* I take your point about vfs objects and ZFS.  I've had a lot of problems;  it's working at the moment, but still trying to understand how permissions are stored...
* Sorry, I initially wrote Samba 3 but when I checked my versions Proxmox is Samba 4.9.5; just forgot to replace it in the email :-)
* I removed the lanman and client lanman options from the file server.  That was an earlier act of desperation!
* I removed the dns forwarder clause - wasn't sure if it gets used on a domain member
* I removed the unix password sync clause - I was never sure about that
* I removed the idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 clause - again, wasn't sure if the client uses it
* I changed the username map as you suggested:

>     #username map = /etc/samba/user.map
>     username map script = /bin/echo
you need the one you commented out and you don't need the one below it.

(Should it be "username map" or "username map script"?)

* I removed the [netlogon] share.  Should I also remove [profiles] from the client?  I have user directories on the file server, but not sure if it is the role of the DC or not to host that.
* I removed winbind from nsswitch.conf as you suggest, but isn't it needed to look up computer names from the DC?  Or it uses regular DNS nowadays?
* I removed the domain line from resolv.conf, although I'm still not sure what it does  :-)
* I removed the nameserver entry for the gateway, and added 2 nameserver entries with each of the DCs IPs.

Question ... I configured my gateway (pfsense) to delegate DNS lookups for nsa.int to the DCs.  Does that mean I can keep all machines pointing their DNS lookups to the gateway?
Or do domain members need to make the DCs their first port-of-call for DNS lookups?

I've always scratched my head over trying to understand what are the samba options applicable to the latest version.  What resources can you recommend I look at?

Switching off LM & NTLM has really nailed it - thank you - I just hope my "trust relationship failed" issues don't come back!!!

Cheers Rowland.

Thanks,
Dave