[Samba] nextcloud files_external:notify: "Due to limitations of linux based SMB servers, this feature only works reliably on Windows SMB servers"

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Wed May 13 19:06:29 UTC 2020

Hello everybody,

I am wondering if anyone know more about the fact that the official
nextcloud documentation states it does not work with linux based smb
servers for notify support?

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_files/external_storage/smb.html

"Due to limitations of linux based SMB servers, this feature only works
reliably on Windows SMB servers."

I tried several searches with Google and Nextcloud github but no luck....

"files_external:notify samba"

https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues?q=samba+files_external+notify

I am planning on migrating NFS to Samba and use this as external storage
for nextcloud, but I need notify support as this seems to be an issue
with nfs and local external storage at the moment needed constant
cronjobs running to manually scan.

Kind regards,

Jelle