[Samba] Does it have any ways to use smbcacls in NFS ?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 12 08:26:31 UTC 2020

On 12/05/2020 08:57, Jeremy via samba wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have an issue for setting windows acl using smbcacls command under NFS
> mount folder, but smbcacls seems to not work. And the error was showed by
> ERROR: security descriptor set failed: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED. I wonder to
> know if other ways to set security.NTACL attribute in NFS.
>
> Thank you,
> Jeremy

I would have thought there was a big hint in the program name ;-)

Just in case you missed it, lets break smbcacls down, SMB c ACLS, it is
a tool to set SMB ACLs on a directory or file, it is not a tool to set
NFSv4ACLS on a directory or file.

It might help if you tell us why you are trying to do this. It might be
that you are trying to re-share an NFS share via Samba, if so, can I
suggest you stop doing this, there have been numerous problems reported
when doing this.

Rowland