[Samba] New install of 4.12.1: fileserver not visible when browsing network

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat May 9 10:44:38 UTC 2020

On 09/05/2020 10:34, Lorenzo Milesi via samba wrote:
> I've just deployed an AD DC fileserver with Samba4 but the server itself is not available when browsing network computers from a Windows PC. Is it because of this [1][2] or did I misconfigure it?
>
> Thanks
>
> my config:
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>          netbios name = FILESERVER
>          realm = WDC.MYDOMAIN.IT
>          server role = active directory domain controller
>          server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
>          workgroup = WDC
>          netbios aliases = server
>          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Winbindd_on_a_Samba_AD_DC
> #       template shell = /bin/bash
>          template homedir = /home/%U
>
> [sysvol]
>          path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
>          read only = No
>
> [netlogon]
>          path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/wdc.mydomain.it/scripts
>          read only = No
>

> [1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/ActiveDirectory#Browsing_.28Domain_Master_Browser.29
> [2] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/FAQ#Why_Is_the_Network_Neighbourhood_empty_or_Does_Not_Show_All_Machines_in_the_Domain.3F

No, it isn't because of something you have done, or not done, it is
because, from 4.11.0, smb.conf now has these by default:

client min protocol = SMB2_02
server min protocol = SMB2_02

This means that your DC will not use SMBv1 and this is required (at both
ends) for network browsing, try installing wsdd, this will make the DC
visible to Network Discovery.

See here for wsdd: https://github.com/christgau/wsdd

Rowland