[Samba] Errors for shares since 4.12.0

Andreas Hauffe andreas.hauffe at tu-dresden.de
Thu May 7 06:41:37 UTC 2020

Hi,

in March I wrote a mail to the list and reported an error I got using
samba 4.12.0. I just want to inform, that I got personal mails from five
or six samba users, that had the same problem without any solution. So
I'm not the only one, who had this kind of problem. Unfortunately, I do
not have more information on this error nor a solution. Due to corona I
wasn't able to give samba 4.12.1 or 4.12.2 a try.

This was the first mail:

I tried samba 4.12.0 on our file server which is a domain member and
exporting some shares. We're getting some strange errors on some shares
since the update.

Right after starting or restarting smbd everything is fine. After short
while (seconds or a few minutes) users are getting errors when trying to
access the shares, e.q. "Invalid Handle Error", "An unexpected network
error occurred", "The process cannot access the file because it is being
used by another process", ... (these are translations of the error
messages from german, so the original english message can be slightly
different).

Sometimes the shares are reachable for users after waiting a while but
sometimes not.

Regards,
Andreas