[Samba] Windows link in linux share...

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Tue May 5 20:01:00 UTC 2020

Well, I just did a dirty test:
* mklink link.txt "textfile.txt"
* mklink /D DIrLink "Directory"
* copied it to a samba share via Explorer (drag and drop).
* copied it to a Windows share via Explorer (drag and drop).

In both cases, it copied the contents of "textfile.txt" as "link.txt",
definitely not a symlink (windows or otherwise).  Same with "DirLink" --
contents as a new directory

* Copied to a Windows share via "xcopy /B" and also "copy /L"

This created a symlink on the remote filesystem, though the destination was
also "local" to that filesystem and didn't exist.

* Attempted to copy to a Samba share via "xcopy /B" and "copy /L"

File creation error - The file or directory is not a reparse point.

----

In my not-so-clear-way, I was wondering if the synchronization process of
Roaming Profiles was able to handle symlinks (by default, or otherwise).  I
still don't know (and your results are inconclusive), but from the above
results it looks like Samba shares don't either.