[Samba] Could not delete share entry

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Tue Mar 31 13:45:07 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-31 12:21, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

 > A 'share entry' is exactly that, a file or directory

You mean, it's a client trying to delete a file/directory?

 From what I can see, crossing smbd's log and audit log, the message
 > [2020/03/30 15:23:16.754076,  0]
../../source3/smbd/close.c:1214(close_directory)
 >   close_directory: Could not delete share entry for SCADENZE FORNITORI
does not mean that client was trying to delete that folder.

Or is it rather an internal structure in Samba referencing a file/directory?

 > and whilst it is
 > probably a bit of a problem, I do not think it is a Samba problem.

Could you provide some pointer to what kind of problem this is?

 >> Yes, MacOS (which is the kind of client that is giving me 99% of the
 >> problems I see lately).
 > Ah, I did remember correctly, sorry but this needs to be fixed on your
 > MacOS machines, Samba is just reporting their problem.

I possibly agree here.
Only, I don't know what the problem is, so I could not fix it even if I
was on the MacOS developping team (which of course I'm not).
What I'm asking is not for a fix on the MacOS side; just an explanation
on what Samba is complaining about. That explanation might eventually
lead to actions on the client side later.

  bye & Thanks
	av.