[Samba] How are user and group SID's generated?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 31 10:11:06 UTC 2020

On 27/03/2020 19:16, Dan Stevenson wrote:
> Rowland,
>
> Here is my smb.conf. I have a very basic setup. Just one main shared
> folder "/Apps" with some ACL's applied to a few sub-folders to
> restrict access by all except certain groups.

Sorry to be so long in replying, just a couple of comments about your
smb.conf. You are running Samba as a standalone server and I do not
think you need any more than this in '[global]':

[global]
     workgroup = peers
     netbios name = SHS1
     security = user
     unix password sync = yes
     cups options = raw
     printcap name = cups
     printing = cups

You also probably do not need '[homes]' & '[users]', they do virtually
the same thing.

Coming back to your original problem about SIDs, How are you creating
the users and groups ? and where ?

Are you using anything else with Samba (sssd for instance, I cannot see
why you would, but stranger things have happened)

The thing is, you usually do not care about SIDs on a 'standalone
server', you connect as a user with password and that's it.

Rowland