[Samba] How are user and group SID's generated?

Dan Stevenson dan.stevenson at prsanders.com
Fri Mar 27 13:57:31 UTC 2020

Greetings,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. I've been searching for over
a week and cannot find information on how Samba generates SID's from
Unix UID's and GID's.

I keep running into situations where after adding a new user to my
CentOS server all other users are suddenly prevented from accessing
shares that have a group ACL assigned.

I finally figured out that it is because Samba will assign an SID to the
new user that is identical to an existing group SID.

For example I have a group named management with an SID of
S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-1026 (X's are my server's ID)

Then I add a user and Samba generates the exact same SID for the new
user. Now when I check the folder properties from Windows I can see that
instead of the group name showing in the security tab like it used to it
now shows the name of the new user.

I do not have a Windows domain, just a simple workgroup.

I am hoping there is a config file somewhere that I can use to tell
Samba to use different SID ranges for user and groups so there will
never be duplicates?

--
Sanders Home Services
Dan Stevenson

*PLUMBING • HEATING • COOLING • ELECTRICAL*

Desk: 856-433-6068 | Email: dan.stevenson at prsanders.com
Main: 856-429-3086 | Fax: 856-429-0551
www.SandersHomeServices.com

*/Invest in Quality, Live in Comfort/*
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/sandershomeservices> 		Twitter
<https://twitter.com/sandersservices/> 		Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/sanders-home-services> 		Google +
<https://plus.google.com/+SandersHomeServicesVoorheesTownship/posts>

*Sanders Home Services*
100 Park Drive • Voorhees, NJ • 08043

Home Improvement Contractor Reg. #13VH00471800
NJMP Peter R. Sanders Plumbing Lic #6726
PR Sanders Electric James J. Grasso Electrical Lic #4701B
Peter R. Sanders Master HVACR Contractor Lic #19HC00334800