[Samba] Winbind not working - Not able to join Domain - Unable to initialize domain list

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Mar 15 14:22:33 UTC 2020

On 15/03/2020 13:51, Sac Isilia wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
Please do not send posts directly to me, send them to the list.

> I am running RHEL 6.8 and try to join to EMEA-MEDIA domain. Below is
> the output of net ads join in the debug mode. It seems that it is not
> able to find the DC info however I have updated the DC in resolv.conf
> , ntp.conf and krb5.conf as well. I don't know where I am missing.
RHEL 6 probably means sssd, if this is the case, please contact the
sssd-users list.

> [root at emdc1ftpl03 ~]# net ads join -U emea-media\\rkumar03# -d7
Does 'rkumar03' have the required permissions to join a machine to the
domain ?

> Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain
> 'EMEA.MEDIA.GLOBAL.LOC' over rpc:
For some reason, your DC cannot be found.
> [global]
>    workgroup = EMEA-MEDIA
>    password server = 10.19.26.136
Do not set the password server, allow Samba to find the best one to use.
>    realm = EMEA.MEDIA.GLOBAL.LOC
>    security = ads
>    idmap config * : range = 16777216-33554431
Hmm, that probably does mean sssd, if not, your smb.conf is badly
configured.

If you are not using sssd, then post the output of:

/etc/hostname

/etc/hosts

/etc/resolv.conf

/etc/krb5.conf

Also, why are you using 6.8 ?

The last RHEL 6 version was 6.10 and this is only in maintenance support
and, as you are asking here, I take it you do not have this. I suggest
you upgrade.

Rowland