[Samba] mount share using kerberos ticket fails

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 10 11:22:57 UTC 2020

On 10/03/2020 10:47, Yvan Masson via samba wrote:
> Le 10/03/2020 à 11:21, Rowland penny via samba a écrit :
>>> I used the word "workstation" in my initial post, thinking it was
>>> sufficient.

>>> OK thanks. Any idea why mounting a share worked using one servers'
>>> hostname and not the other? They both resolve to the same IP.
>>
>> Because if you are using pam-mount, you should be using the users
>> kerberos ticket via PAM at login.
>
> That is what I did. But it fails even when mounting manually:
> 1. Connect on the desktop using domain user "yvan.masson" (either
> graphically / TTY / SSH). Kerberos ticket is properly created.
> 2. Running "sudo mount -t cifs //ad.FOO.BAR.LOCAL/Echange /mnt -o
> user=yvan.masson,cruid=yvan.masson,sec=krb5" fails with "Required key
> not available".
> 3. Running "sudo mount -t cifs //foo-ad.FOO.BAR.LOCAL/Echange /mnt -o
> user=yvan.masson,cruid=yvan.masson,sec=krb5" works.
>
> This seems strange to me since "foo-ad" and "ad" refer to the same IP
> address. But, as I said, I found a workaround so this question is not
> important…

Kerberos does not use ipadresses and if you are using a machines ticket,
then the machine must have the relevant SPN. Also, a computer cannot
have two hostnames, but it can have a hostname and a CNAME.

You can mount a share with a users kerberos ticket at login via PAM, not
sure if you can do this via SSH.

Rowland