[Samba] Long re-index on upgrade from 4.10.x to 4.11.x

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Mar 7 00:52:04 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-03-05 at 15:09 +0000, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 05/03/2020 14:58, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:

> > > kind of, yes. short: works now
> > >
> > > longer: reinstalled samba, found samba-ad-dc.service masked (why? who?)
> > > ... unmasked it and decided to restart. Works now.
> > >
> > > thanks for now. I will wait with the second DC, one or two days.
> > I have to add that the customer had issues while DC1 was reindexing or
> > whatever ...
> >

> It took nearly 5 hours in my case and during that time, only the samba
> binary was running, no smbd or winbind.

The startup re-index is not meant to take that long, this is quite a
concern.  The decision to force a re-index was taken on the basis of
testing that it was pretty fast, triggered at first startup and only a
few seconds in duration.

It certainly wasn't meant to be a 5-hour offline operation, even for
massive databases.

If anyone in this thread is able to put the upgrade under a perf and
produce a flame graph, that would be an awesome start to understanding
what has gone wrong here.

http://www.brendangregg.com/FlameGraphs/cpuflamegraphs.html#Instructions

I'm assuming this is on TDB and not LMDB?

Thanks!

Andrew Bartlett