[Samba] DCs from 4.10.x to 4.11.x

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Mar 6 15:15:41 UTC 2020

On 06/03/2020 10:44, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> Am 06.03.20 um 10:46 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
>>
>> .. It "howo to upgrade and running re-indexing before the upgrade"
>>
>> samba-tool dbcheck
>> samba-tool dbcheck --cross-nc
>> samba-tool dbcheck --reindex
>> apt dist-upgrade -dy
>> apt dist-upgrade --autoremove --purge
>> apt --fix-broken install
>> systemctl unmask samba-ad-dc
>> systemctl stop samba-ad-dc
>> systemctl start samba-ad-dc
>> sleep 100
>> samba-tool dbcheck
>> samba-tool dbcheck --cross-nc
>> samba-tool dbcheck --reindex
>>
>> ^^ "It"  ;-)
> Yes! That's it ;-)

It might be, but it isn't the way I tried. I upgraded in the way I have
always done. First I got the reindexing for 5 hours and then when I
decided to upgrade the other DC (which held all the FSMO roles), I
couldn't transfer the FSMO roles to the upgraded DC and when I tried to
seize them to the DC instead, this failed. I then tried to remove any
tombstoned records on the upgraded DC, after 90 minutes, I gave up and
tried on the other, un-upgraded, DC and they were removed almost instantly.

Something went seriously wrong during the upgrade, so I remove the
upgraded DC, renamed and rejoined it, I now appear to have a fully
working DC, but time will tell.

Rowland