[Samba] samba_dnsupdate

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 2 13:16:30 UTC 2020

On 02/03/2020 11:51, Paul Littlefield via samba wrote:
> On 02/03/2020 10:49, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> Does your DC have a fixed IP and if not, why not ?
>
> Yes, using netplan in Ubuntu 18.04...
>
> network:
>   ethernets:
>     ens18:
>       addresses:
>       - 130.130.0.218/16
>       gateway4: 130.130.0.1
>       nameservers:
>         addresses:
>         - 130.130.0.218
>         - 130.130.0.219
>         search:
>         - mydomain.com
>       optional: true
>   version: 2

Samba runs samba_dnsupgrade on a regular basis, using dns_update_list as
a template. Amongst the list of dns entries is this:

AAAA ${HOSTNAME}                                           $IP

> It's just happened AGAIN... the main servers A records have gone and
> replaced by IPv6 ones.
I am unsure why it is doing this, I have never seen this happening, but
then again I do not use IPv6 or netplan.

> I'm using the Samba 4 Internal DNS and ISC DHCP Server and have
> 'ddns-update-style none;' in the DHCP server config.
>
> Questions...
>
> 1. How do I turn on Samba 4 AD DC logging for DNS updates?
add 'log level = 4' to the smb.conf on the DC

> 2. Can I watch for DNS requests in tcpdump?
I do not see why you couldn't.

> 3. I have another DC which is replicating fine with this DC and after
> I have REMOVED the AAAA IPv6 entries + ADDED the A records in _either_
> DC it lasts for a while then they get removed again!

Fairly sure this is samba_dnsupgrade doing this, but why is another
question.

Rowland