[Samba] OpenVPN using LDAP Auth and Samba 4 AD

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Sun Mar 1 11:01:50 UTC 2020

Hello All,

I would like to use OpenVPN with Samba 4 AD using the LDAP Auth plugin.

However, my tests come up with the following errors in the OpenVPN...

LDAP bind failed: Strong(er) authentication required (BindSimple: Transport encryption required.)
Unable to bind as CN=VPN Connect,CN=Users,DC=MYDOMAIN,DC=COM
LDAP connect failed.
PLUGIN_CALL: POST /usr/lib/openvpn/openvpn-auth-ldap.so/PLUGIN_AUTH_USER_PASS_VERIFY status=1
PLUGIN_CALL: plugin function PLUGIN_AUTH_USER_PASS_VERIFY failed with status 1: /usr/lib/openvpn/openvpn-auth-ldap.so
TLS Auth Error: Auth Username/Password verification failed for peer

Has anyone else used OpenVPN with Samba 4 AD and if so, can I see your sanitised config please?

Samba 4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.15
OpenVPN 2.3.10-1ubuntu2.2

Thanks,

Paully