[Samba] Dynamic DNS for Samba domain joined hosts

Jon Gerdes gerdesj at blueloop.net
Tue Jun 30 22:54:01 UTC 2020

Dear all

I have a Ubuntu 18.04 box with Samba 4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.16 on it.  Until recently I only used winbind on it to
enable GSSAPI for ssh and Apache.  The machine is domain joined to a 2016 based set of AD DCs.

I have added a IPv6 static address to the box and want to update DNS dynamically.

I installed all of Samba to get "samba_dnsupdate".  Prior to this I only needed winbind and a few Kerberos related
things.  Whenever I run samba_dnsupdate I get the error:

"No such file or directory: '/var/lib/samba/private/dns_update_list"

I can't work out what creates that file. The directory exists. I've tried starting smbd and nmbd and restarting winbind.
 Normally I only run winbind on this box.

Cheers
Jon