[Samba] Need help with roaming profiles

Matt Savin matt at tegers.com
Mon Jun 29 23:13:55 UTC 2020

Hello Rowland,

Thank you very much for the relentless support you're providing for the
community.

You wrote: "The 'netbios name' must be the same as the hostname."

For years, my samba file server (now version 4.11.9) netbios name differs
from the hostname (although it has a DNS CNAME record pointing to the host
name) and everything is working fine (I'm not using roaming profiles, and
using POSIX permissions). It's used for home directories and other shares,
all mapped using group policies. Clients are different versions and
distributions of Linux and Windows (including 2004). DCs are Windows 2012
R2s. I reread smb.conf and couldn't find any references that "netbios name"
should be the same as the hostname. Is it a roaming profiles requirement or
I'm missing something?

Best regards,
Matt