[Samba] Recipe/advice for Samba 4.11 on Ubuntu 20.04 as member server joining Windows Server 2019 AD

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 24 07:00:18 UTC 2020

On 24/06/2020 02:02, Michael Galvon via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Brand new VM's running on ESXi replacing existing Samba 3 NT domain.
> I am not quite brand new but this is my first time for this combination.
> Would like to use Win Ad for authentication and Samba for 20 users and
> company shared data.
>
> Started with this how-to:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member
>
> Lost my way on Choose backend for id mapping in winbindd and further
> reading in mapping Unix attributes for users in ADUC.
> It appears we must manually edit each users properties?
> To my eyes, it appears the article was written to assist in joining
> Samba member servers to join Samba AD

It doesn't matter if the DC is a Samba AD DC or a Windows AD DC, you set
the Unix domain members up the same.

It boils down to three main winbind backends: rid, ad and autorid. You
only need to add anything to AD if you use the 'ad' backend. The 'rid'
backend calculates the Unix ID from the Windows user or group RID, the
'autorid' backend does something similar, but is really meant for
multiple domains.

The only time you need to add anything to AD is if you use the 'ad'
backend, in which case you must add RFC2307 attributes (uidNumber,
gidNumber, etc), but it does give you the same ID on all your Unix
machines and the ability to set individual home directories and login
shells.

Rowland