[Samba] Users, home directories and profiles

Enrico Morelli morelli at cerm.unifi.it
Tue Jun 23 10:37:16 UTC 2020

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 13:54:38 +0100
Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 22/06/2020 13:50, Enrico Morelli wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 11:46:55 +0100
> > Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> Remove the last two lines, they have no place on a DC and in fact
> >> you have turned off one of the required vfs objects.
> > Done.

> >> I would rename [homes] to [users], [homes] is a special share that
> >> does not require the 'path' parameter and normally uses the users
> >> Unix directory path and you are using a Windows user home directory
> >> path.
> > Done.
> >
> > All seems to be hard. Now I'm able to see security tab, but when I
> > select it the application crash.
> >
> > I tried to set profile but when I open Active Directory Users and
> > Computers I receive: Naming information cannot be located for the
> > following reason: The server is not operational.
> >
> > :-((
> >

> Firewall or Apparmor or Selinux getting in the way ?
>
> Rowland

I updated Windows 10 to the latest update, removed the Windows PC from
the domain and putted it again.

Now Active Directory Users and Computers doesn't start.

I'm unable to use Computer Management to perform the steps to set
home directories because it crashes.

I tried to set the homes using File explorer, going to the shared
resources and creating the home directory but I receive that I haven't
permission to create a folder under /home/win_shares/users.

Before I added my account to Unix Admins and Domain Admins.

I set log level to 10 but I'm unable to see if there is issues
scrolling thousand of lines.

I don't know what fish to catch anymore :-((

  Enrico Morelli
  System Administrator | Programmer | Web Developer

  CERM - Polo Scientifico
  via Sacconi, 6 - 50019 Sesto Fiorentino (FI) - ITALY