[Samba] Upgrading from standard to Louis' repo

Robert E. Wooden bob at donelsontrophy.com
Mon Jun 22 16:54:00 UTC 2020

On 6/19/2020 4:10 PM, Robert E. Wooden via samba wrote:
> This is a FYI email.
>
> I had built a Debian 10.4 (Buster) DC with standard Samba package
> 4.9.5 (current version offered from Debian repos.)
>
> Backed up what I had so far (functional DC.)
>
> I had setup Samba v4.9.5 following Louis' instruction.
>
> Added Louis' repo and ran 'apt update'.
>
> Louis' repo was on the list.
>
> Ran 'apt dist-upgrade' and rebooted.
>
> Ran bind9 tests, kerberos tests, systemctl status samba-ad-dc (shows
> active), nslookup tests and finally:
>
> root at dc01:~# samba -V
> Version 4.12.3-Debian
>
> So, it seems that . . . so far . . . the upgrade went great.
>
> Now the test of time . . . .

Adding to my experience.

I experienced sluggish response times from the work stations. Slow file
openings and slow access to various RSAT modules.

To resolve (this could be a challenge for a larger AD organization) I
shutdown all the machines on the AD network in reverse order of importance.

Restarting the DC first, member server next and then each workstation.
Normal, quick connection response speeds resumed.

--

Bob Wooden