[Samba] SAMBA using existing users and passwords on Linux

Fernando Gonçalves fernandolmg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 14:06:40 UTC 2020

I will pass all the commands I used for installation and inclusion of the
linux server server in AD.

Installation of KERBEROS 5 packages:
#yum install krb5-server krb5-libs krb5-workstation

I added the following lines to the /etc/krb5.conf file
[libdefaults]
default_realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM
dns_lookup_realm = false
dns_lookup_kdc = false

I installed realmd
# yum install realmd

I ran the command to find the domain and check the necessary packages to be
installed
#realm discover tjsc.ad --client-software = winbind
tjsc.ad
  type: kerberos
  realm-name: TJSC.AD
  domain-name: tjsc.ad
  configured: no
  server-software: active-directory
  client-software: winbind
  required-package: oddjob-mkhomedir
  required-package: oddjob
  required-package: samba-winbind-clients
  required-package: samba-winbind
  required-package: samba-common-tools

I installed required packages
# yum install oddjob-mkhomedir oddjob samba-winbind-clients samba-winbind
samba-common-tools

Includes server in the domain with winbind
# realm join tjsc.ad --client-software = winbind -U adm.fernando

Verifying that the operation was successfully completed
# realm list
tjsc.ad
  type: kerberos
  realm-name: TJSC.AD
  domain-name: tjsc.ad
  configured: kerberos-member
  server-software: active-directory
  client-software: winbind
  required-package: oddjob-mkhomedir
  required-package: oddjob
  required-package: samba-winbind-clients
  required-package: samba-winbind
  required-package: samba-common-tools
  login-formats: TJSC\%U
  login-policy: allow-any-login

Enable authentication via Winbind
# authconfig --enablewinbind --enablewinbindauth --smbsecurity ads
--enablewinbindoffline --smbworkgroup=TJSC --update --smbrealm TJSC.AD
--winbindtemplateshell=/bin/bash --update

Install samba
# yum install samba

And that was it.

SMB.CONF

[global]
kerberos method = system keytab
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
workgroup = TJSC
template shell = /bin/bash
security = ads
realm = TJSC.AD
idmap config TJSC : range = 2000000-2999999
idmap config TJSC : backend = rid
idmap config * : range = 10000-999999
idmap config * : backend = tdb
winbind use default domain = yes