[Samba] Computer name in ADUC

henri transfert hb.transfert at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 11:39:21 UTC 2020

Le jeu. 18 juin 2020 à 12:14, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
a écrit :

> On 18/06/2020 08:51, henri transfert via samba wrote:
> > So what is the way to properly change the name of a client computer ?
>
> Louis and myself tried to write a script to do just this, but failed
> because he was changing the name via Windows (as you are) and I was
> using ldbrename. After some confusion, it became obvious that Windows
> changed  everything except the dn,cn,name and distinguishedName,
> ldbrename changed nothing but the dn,cn,name and distinguishedName.
> Neither method changed everything.
>
> So, in my opinion (and you are not going to like this), the best way to
> change a computer name is to walk to the computer, leave the domain,
> change computer name, reboot and then rejoin the domain :-(
>
> Rowland

Thanks Rowland.
I have tried but I needed to delete the computer object in ADUC between
leave and rejoin to make the new name effective in ADUC.

Maybe another solution is to mix both :
1) change the name via windows
2) rename with ldbrename

This way all ldap attributes are changed.
The concerned database is private/sam.ldb right ?

Not very satisfying anyway ...