[Samba] autorid broken in samba 4.9?

Nathaniel W. Turner nathanielwyliet at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:25:03 UTC 2020

I realize I never followed up with this. The problem here turned out to be
that I was doing a "reload" of the samba services (smb, nmb, winbind) to
pick up my ID mapping changes in smb.conf. Switching my test case to do a
"restart" instead resolved the issue.

More details:

The test case basically did the following:
1. Join AD using "realm join --client-software=winbind ..."
2. Reconfigure smb.conf based on a custom template (as shown in prior
emails).
3. Reload samba services.
4. Log in as an AD user (or use wbinfo -i ...)

The problem was a combination of a few things:
* Step 1 writes an interim smb.conf with an undesirable idmapping
configuration. (I realize there is probably a better way to craft this test
case than by using "realm join" here --- suggestions welcome.)
* Step 3 didn't completely eradicate the old idmapping configuration from
the runtime. It seems a "restart" is needed here.
* After step 4 shows the wrong ID mapping, a "restart" of the services does
not fix it, presumably because the autorid.cache file already has an entry
for this username.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this here in case anyone else finds this
thread while debugging the same problem.